Services to Public Libraries
Territorians make more than one million visits to their local library each year. They need their libraries, which is why the Northern Territory Library works to ensure the library sector remains strong and vibrant.
The Northern Territory Library supports some of the most remote libraries in the world. There are 32 public libraries across the Northern Territory.
The Northern Territory Library supports the sector by providing:
- a Territory-wide library management system
- operational funding through the Public Library Funding Agreement
- funding for public collections and eResources
- learning and development opportunities
- advice on library service provision
- free public Wi-Fi in remote Aboriginal communities
- access to the Community Stories
Connected Communities: Vision for Northern Territory Public Libraries 2017 - 2023
Libraries serve the diverse needs of their communities. To ensure they’re doing this effectively, in 2016 the Northern Territory Government undertook a community consultation process to find out what Territorians want from their public libraries.
The Connected Communities: Vision for Northern Territory Public Libraries 2017-2023 final report shares the vision for public libraries. This report has been informed by the community Public Consultation Report.
For more information contact us via email.
For public library staff
If you are a staff member at a public library in the Northern Territory, extensive resources are available through the LibrariesNT Knowledge Exchange. If you require access please email us.